Sunday, December 6, 2015

ANSWERS: Section Six 3

Boy, did "Section Six 3" prove to be another toughie! Yet despite the difficulty, I still managed to get a decent amount of solvers for this puzzle:
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • YYW ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Grant Fikes √** (an explanation for this weird star count is in the solver comments below the break)
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
  • Mom **
  • Tyler Hinman ****
And now it's time to reveal the answers to that hard puzzle! Just go below the break to see them, along with a couple solver comments!


Here are the answers in text format, in case you can't make out the jumble of letters above:
RING 1: GO-KART, SUU, GROMBLE, NARIKO, ALL STAR, FRESHLY
RING 2: BORG, KRUSTY, GHOSTFREAK, ALSO-RAN, LEU
RING 3: ARLO, SKATERS, YOGURTS, BOURNE
RING 4: BRUTUS, OYSTERS, KOREA
RING 5: YOUTUBE, ROKER
RING 6: TURKEY

The letters in the starred tiles unscramble to spell out GIBLET


I'll admit it, I was running out of puzzles to publish on this blog, so I had to churn this one out pretty quickly, hence the high(er than usual) amounts of nigh-impossible clues and answers for this one. Unsurprisingly, solvers struggled with it, such as Grant Fikes, who said "For the love of crap. That's what I would have guessed before I started Googling pretty much everything in the outer two rings, but it seemed less shameful to look crap up than to offer a wrong guess. I was severely tripped up by hoping that Ben 10's alien form was something simple like GHOST and not something completely unguessable like GHOSTFREAK (which admittedly is an impressive entry). Give me the square root of 2 stars for this solve. I don't deserve 4."


Similarly, Tyler Hinman initially guessed GOBLET and said "I'm taking a guess here as I continue to prefer that to looking stuff up. Clues 2-4 in Ring 1 might as well be written in Klingon. (Ditto the Ben 10 clue; fortunately I don't need that one.) I'm afraid having several of these YEKIOYDs in close proximity really sours me on the puzzle." After I told him he was one letter off, he later gave me the correct answer, "though I usually see that pluralized."

No comments:

Post a Comment