Sunday, August 14, 2016

ANSWERS: Link-Letters 2

It's been almost two weeks since I've posted my second "Link-Letters" puzzle, as well as almost one week since I pretty much poured my heart out on all the things related to this blog that have been eating at me. I did get some replies to that post, but unfortunately, not much of it seemed to help. For instance, Grant Fikes said that "I wouldn't know where to begin to get a signal boost and an enduring readership. For now, just interact with the puzzle community a lot and keep posting content.", but I don't know exactly how to interact with the puzzle community outside of the people solving my puzzles, and even then, I still don't know what to do with the people who haven't solved in a while, either.

At least I made a step towards fixing one of my problems; starting with tomorrow's puzzle, I am now going to try to use a test-solver more frequently to see if my puzzles are too hard or not. You might know him: Joseph DeVincentis is Grant's regular test-solver, and he's tested out a couple of my puzzles before, so hopefully, his input will decrease the difficulty a tad for my puzzles!

Now with all that out of the way, let's see the people who have figured out that "Link-Letters" puzzle which could've benefited more from a test solver:
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Mom ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
  • Debbie Benford ****
  • YYW ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
Now head below the break for the answers! Nobody commented on this specific puzzle, so instead, I've included a couple messages sent to me regarding last week's post.


The two four letter words in the center are BEET and OVEN, and you put an "H" between them to get BEETHOVEN


Sam Levitin had this to say: "I participate in the Puzzled Pint, which throws a related set of puzzles with a meta, once a month. Occasionally, they pass out cards promoting someone's web site or new puzzle book. (Nathan Curtis, maybe?)

I've also seen pass-outs at MIT Mystery Hunt.

It's a fractured, tiny world you're aiming for. I don't have the magic answers, sorry. "


Adam Weaver said "Let me start by saying I've enjoyed your site pretty much from the beginning when I found you from Grant's page. 

Unfortunately, I'm one of those solvers who will probably be showing up a little less in the near future.

The answer to your questions in the blog for me are mostly "too busy with other things" and a bit of "clues are too esoteric." 

I've gotten up to 5 weekly puzzles (and one monthly) I follow. With school starting (I'm a HS math teacher) and life (4th child due in October) I probably need to cut back to find some balance. 

I certainly hope you can and will continue to make puzzles, and I'll stop by and solve when I can. "

No comments:

Post a Comment