Sunday, May 16, 2021

ANSWERS: Meta-Crossword 8: 3 on a Match

It's been almost two weeks since my latest meta-crossword, "3 on a Match", was posted on this blog, and a truly immense thirty-two people successfully figured it out since then, setting a new record for this year! Thank you all so much for solving! I truly appreciate it!

  • Cindy Heisler
  • Grant Fikes
  • Giovanni Pagano
  • Dave C
  • Joe Bernard
  • Kevin Orfield
  • Tyler Hinman
  • Karen Spencer
  • Stephen Potter
  • Kitchendiva
  • Marich
  • Wendy Walker
  • Mom
  • Patrick Jordan
  • Dannyvee
  • Hector Pefo
  • Sam Levitin
  • Tamara Brenner
  • Yossi Fendel
  • Chris Kochmanski
  • Mama Ellen
  • Morgan Chase
  • Peter Abide
  • Al Sisti
  • Bob Harris
  • Lynn Sweeney
  • Oldjudge
  • Dudeski
  • Pavel Curtis
  • Lbray53
  • Richard Allen
  • Chris Hendricks
By the way, one of my solvers, Richard Allen, does a monthly meta-crossword at www.lexicondevil.live, so if you like metas, be sure to give that site a visit! Anyway, if you want to know the answer to this puzzle (as well as read several solvers' comments), go ahead and click on "Read more" below!


Keeping the title of "3 on a Match" in mind, you should notice that there are several groups made up of three squares each that all have three of the same letter in them. Read out those letters in standard reading order (left-to-right and top-to-bottom) to get the answer of TRIATHLON.

Patron Cindy Heisler said that "I had never heard of metas not long ago and now I struggle through half a dozen every week. I was happy to see this one."

Patron Joe Bernard saw that "I’ve often noticed in other puzzles the seemingly common occurrence of the same two letters appearing in diagonal spaces. I like to call them “Diagonators”. They seem to occur much more often than by random chance.  It is not unusual in a 15X15 grid to see them eight or more times.  I can understand how vowels might do this but all too often they are seldom used letters like “K” and “Z”. So when I saw the first triple in your puzzle it immediately caught my attention."

Solver Wendy Walker said "I got the first 3 letters and figured you were going for TRIPLE CROWN, but it didn't work out that way!"

Solver Morgan Chase said "I spotted some of the double letters after finishing the grid, but the blocks of 3 jumped out at me when I looked at the puzzle a few hours later. WIIU (and WIIG) are usually there for a reason. 😁"

Solver Chris Kochmanski said that this was "Fun! But you DO know about the recent WSJCC puzzle entitled "This, That, and the Other Thing", don't you? Many of us, including me, entered THREE ON A MATCH instead of GAME, SET, AND MATCH as intended. Talk about rubbing salt in a still fresh wound! 😊" [I know he wasn't being entirely serious, but my puzzle was crafted before the Wall Street Journal one was published, so it's just coincidence]

No comments:

Post a Comment