Sunday, February 22, 2015

ANSWERS: Meta-Crossword #2 (Guys Like You)

WOW. That's pretty much all I can say regarding the amount of people who've solved my second meta-crossword (a hint for that one is here). Just take a look at this list!
  • Mom **
  • Grant Fikes **
  • Adam Weaver **
  • Tyler Hinman **
  • Paolo Pasco **
  • Sam Levitin **
  • Eric Maddy **
  • Yossi Fendel **
  • Bennett Engel **
  • Matthew Breen **
  • Rachel Parsons **
  • Phoebe McBee **
  • Craig Harman **
  • Mike Wilhelm **
  • David Stein **
  • Justin Weinbaum **
  • The Cassidy Family (Tom, Regina, Mike, John, Jim & Gladys) [They all sent me separate e-mails with the correct answer, but I decided to lump them in a single group for convenience and the fact that they all sent their e-mails shortly after each other] *
  • Peter Abide *
  • Andy Keller *
  • Kathleen Miller *
  • Ronald Roberts *
  • Amy Paepke ** [she said she "solved [it] without the clue", so that's why I'm giving her two stars instead of one]
Now for the hard part: getting them to stay! That might be a challenge, since unlike other puzzle blogs, I don't do crosswords exclusively and prefer to do variety puzzles. That, and my clues tend to be pretty challenging. Until I figure out how to get more people to solve my non-meta-crossword puzzles, however, you can check the answers for this meta-crossword below the break!


As you can see, each of the four theme entries begin with the last name of a famous "Mickey" (Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mantle, Mickey Spillane, and Mickey Rooney), making "MICKEY" by Toni Basil the final answer!



Solver Rachel Parsons came here from MGWCC, and "[n]ow I can't stop singing Mickey by Toni Basil-- why is it that I can remember Toni Basil and the video and every word of that song (including her drawing out "it's guuuuys liiiike you, Mickey") but I can't remember important life events? The title, by the way, was the giveaway for me.

Fun puzzle. Will now start singing "Coke is It" [which can be seen below] in an effort to stop singing Mickey."


Solver Paolo Pasco noticed that "the clue for 12-Down [where I referenced Trixie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic] fell right into my wheelhouse, and also cemented you as one of my favorite puzzlemakers"



Solver Tyler Hinman informed me that "23A is... not grammatical, since EWER starts with a Y sound." [I had assumed "Ewer" started with a vowel sound, but it turns out that that's not the case, since it's actually pronounced YOO-wer. Sorry for the screwup!]



Solver Peter Abide came up with some alternate clues in case "Spill An Ewer" wasn't acceptable: "[Y]ou could have gone with FINN HUDSON from Glee, and used an 11-letter [phrase staring with] mouse"

No comments:

Post a Comment