Sunday, November 4, 2018

ANSWERS: Crypticrostic 3

CLUE USED: "Old Roman racer's spirit protecting a really funny fellow"

It's been thirteen days since "Crypticrostic 3" was posted on this site, and to my surprise, seven people have solved it since then, the highest number yet for those tough puzzles! Take a look:
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Dan Simonds **
  • Lynn Sweeney ***
  • Christi Ann Scott ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
Now head below the break for the answers as well as three solver comments!

Here are the clues' answers in the order that they appeared in the puzzle:

AIRLINE (HAIRLINE - H)
ALLIES (2 definitions)
CHARIOTEER (CHEER + A RIOT)
CRINGING (C. + RINGING)
FANDANGO (DANG + "OF AN" scrambled)
FEELER (F + R. E. LEE reversed)
MEDITATE ("CLAIMED IT ATE")

And here's the answer to the Anacrostic:

REGINA DANCED AFTER A GREAT TIME IN REAL-LIFE LIONEL RICHIE SONG

The answer to that is "BALLERINA GIRL" (BALL + "REGINA" scrambled + IRL)


Solver Sam Levitin said that this was a "Very tough puzzle. [My answer is] BALLERINA GIRL, which, I noted, was not prominently displayed on my search results for "lionel richie" song, but did get hit when I searched on that page for "ball".

Thanks for putting the vertical bars in. Without them, I would have chased a lot of wrong interpretations. Even with 5 or 6 out of 7 answers correct, getting sense out of the acrostic was really difficult."

Meanwhile, Patron Tyler Hinman had "Never heard it. Glad I looked up a list to figure it out."

New solver Christi Ann Scott "just stumbled upon your blog page last night. I love a good cryptic crossword and this was a nice twist! I look forward to solving more in the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment