Sunday, June 6, 2021

ANSWERS: Quadruple Cross 3

Before I reveal the answers to "Quadruple Cross 3" from two weeks ago, I just wanted to let you guys know that this very puzzle was featured on a podcast not too long ago! You see, there's a podcast called "Fill Me In" that talks about crosswords (and whatever else that comes to the hosts' minds), and on episode #297 from May 25th, they gave a shoutout to my site and this specific puzzle format! If you want to hear it for yourself, you can listen to that specific episode over here (one of the main topics from it is the crossword history of a 3-letter word usually clued as "Donkey", so obviously there's a Mild Language Warning for those who care about that sort of thing) and if you want to fast-forward to the relevant part, it's around the 1 hour & 13 minute mark. So a big thanks to Brian and Ryan (the hosts of the show) for talking about it, and another thanks to Peter Abide, who let me know about it! Now with that bit of news out of the way, here are the nineteen people who have successfully solved this puzzle:

  • Grant Fikes
  • Cindy Heisler
  • Dave C
  • Joe Bernard
  • Kevin Orfield
  • Tyler Hinman
  • Karen Spencer
  • Sam Levitin
  • Stephen Potter
  • Izak Bulten
  • Seth Christenfeld
  • Mom
  • Tamara Brenner
  • Patrick Jordan
  • Wendy Walker
  • Al Sisti
  • Lynn Sweeney
  • Lila Goldenberg
  • Peter Abide
Now head below the break for the answers as well as a solver's comment!

1) Gizmo / Hazel, 2) Eliot / Anime, 3) Otter / Dutch, 4) Gnash / Erase, 5) Mocha / Cacti, 6) Melba / Tilde, 7) Deist / Chide, 8) Shogi / Stout, 9) Hadst / Nadal, 10) Album / Babar, 11) Death / Umami, 12) Mirth / Girly, 13) Enemy / Steer, 14) Arrow / Myrrh, 15) Rhino / Think, 16) Norma / Lyric


The tips of the grid (which I've highlighted), when read clockwise, spell out GADGET HACKWRENCH


It turned out the majority of my solvers hadn't heard of this character from the Disney show Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, and solver Lila Goldenberg was one of them: "Going to be honest, thought I was going insane after reading the full name and I was like, "Is there some further meta I need???" But I googled it to be sure, and, there enough, Gadget Hackwrench exists! Very fun and a nice challenge. I'm new to these kinds of variety puzzles and I really enjoyed the solve (except when I misread Archrival as Archival and got VERY stuck on 15)."

No comments:

Post a Comment