Sunday, April 10, 2016

ANSWERS: Coined Phrases

Looks like my first "Coined Phrases" puzzle proved to be another hit, as twelve of you have managed to solve it since it was published thirteen days ago! The full list of solvers is below, as usual:
  • YYW ****
  • Brad Eldredge ****
  • Punjit Sharma ****
  • Yossi Fendel ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ***
  • Mom **
  • Debbie Benford ***
  • Cayden Curtis ****
Now just click on "Read more" below for the answers, along with some solver comments!

Notice: The location of each letter has been colored according to whether they appear in the front or back of each coin:


The FINAL ANSWER is CANDY STORE

Solver Yossi Fendel said that "This is a delightful puzzle type, and I can't recall coming across it before.  I didn't know the answer to clue 1 (I need to spend more time in the candy store, I suppose) but the puzzle was solvable without it.  But this has me wondering - given a "coined phrases" puzzle with N coins, what is the fewest number of clues required to identify both sides of each coin (assuming there is no meta to help with backsolving)?" [I won't publish the answer that he came up with here, since he also sent this poser to "Numberplay" by the New York Times and I don't want to spoil the answers before it gets published there]

Solver Sam Levitin said "Enjoyable puzzle, straightforward since graph theory has been on my mind recently. :) I expect other solvers' mileage may vary."

Solver Brad Eldredge said that this was a "Very clever puzzle.  Loved the mixture of logic & wordplay!"

No comments:

Post a Comment