Sunday, June 23, 2019

ANSWERS: Gryptics 2

A POSTCARD depicting a tourist trap from an episode of Rocko's Modern Life
(POSTCARD being one of the words used in the first grid) 

Before we get to the answers to "Gryptics 2" from two weeks ago, I should tell you about something special that I'm gonna do soon. You see, my birthday's in a couple days, and to celebrate it, I'm going to post my very first YouTube video! More specifically, it'll be an episode of a game show that I appeared on ten years ago! I'll post the video in question in next week's answers post, so look forward to that! In the meantime, here are a bunch of people that have solved my second pair of Gryptics:
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • M. Sean Molley ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Patrick Jordan ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Mom ***
  • Stephen Staver ****
  • Dan Simonds & Gabe Swartzendruber **
  • Debbie Benford ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
Now head below the break for the answers as well as several solver comments!


The two words that combine to make the name of a video game, highlighted above, spell out DESTRUCTION DERBY


This is a first: I actually stumped Patron Grant Fikes! Even though he got the FINAL ANSWER, he said "I cannot solve that second grid for the life of me. The only word Qat returns for the second column is BENEFACTOR, but this leaves nothing for row 3." Once I told him that Qat/Qxw doesn't know what a "bioreactor" is, he then said "BIOREACTOR? Oh geez, I'd never heard of that word before", and completed the second grid.

Meanwhile, Patron Tyler Hinman found trouble elsewhere: "Man, that second one was a [FEMALE CANINE]. Probably because the preferred spelling of GUERILLA is with two Rs. Oh well."

Solver Sam Levitin also found that "Puzzle 2 was a tough one. Needed some backsolving assistance from entry DERBY to resolve it."

Finally, Patron M. Sean Molley sums up all these comments: "Wow, that second grid was tough!"

2 comments: