MIXED DOUBLES 3
Each answer word in this crossword variation has two clues leading to it, using different meanings of the word. The clues are separated into Across and Down, but are otherwise ordered randomly. When you find two Across clues or two Down clues that seem to have the same answer, add up their clue numbers to determine the place in the grid where the answer should be entered. For example, if the clue for 1-Across and the clue for 16-Across both have the same answer, the answer would go in the box labeled 17 (1+16). To make things harder, tags such as "Hyph." and "2 wds." have been omitted.
There is an extra clue in both lists of Across and Down clues. This week's FINAL ANSWER is the answer to both of the extra clues, which you can get by rearranging the letters in the grid's pink squares.
1) Insect that you can hear chirping in an empty audience?
2) City with Universal Studios Florida
3) Ms. Hawthorne from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
4) Allows someone to leave
5) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang actor Dick
6) Like a spotty past
7) Beard named after a Flemish painter
8) 1998 comedy film starring Dave Chappelle
9) Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor with brownies and cookie dough
10) Tick off royally
11) Mexico's national flower
12) "Turn Up the Radio" glam metal band
13) Sweet-smelling stick
15) Bat-and-ball sport with a bowler
16) Enjoyed a lollipop
17) Magazine that became available in Braille in 1970
19) He played Paris in Troy (2004)
20) Celebrity's signature, say
21) "The printer ate my homework", and others
1) Scared stiff
2) The first grunge band to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
3) Bird with colorful tail feathers
4) RPG video game series whose mascot is called Vault Boy
5) Signed on the dotted line
6) The only female robot on Mystery Science Theater 3000
7) Nickname for both Pelé and Josephine Baker
8) Precious stone
9) 1959 musical featuring "Everything's Coming up Roses"
10) Last name of a blue Clue character
11) The end of the world as we know it
12) GameCube or Genesis, e.g.
13) Pattern for a racing flag
14) Fracture a femur
15) Leave a military formation
16) "You Were Meant for Me" singer
17) Like forests whose trees have turned to stone
18) Give solace to
19) Pirate ship once captained by Jack Sparrow
20) Buddhist's bliss
21) Opening shot in billiards
22) 1998 PlayStation game starring Bruce Willis
23) Traced over a comic book artist's pencil lines, perhaps
Once you believe you've figured out the FINAL ANSWER, send it to either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (though I'm more likely to check the second one) and I'll put your name on a solvers list once I post the answers in about two weeks. You can also use those email addresses to give me some comments and feedback (or get a hint from me in exchange for a "hint star", more details for that are on the sidebar to the right) or send me the answer to last week's puzzle, if you haven't already figured it out. If you have a printer and want to solve this puzzle on paper, just head below the break for a version you can print out!