Since Grant Fikes decided to adopt one of my original formats last week (and one day before my birthday, too! Thanks for the birthday gift, Grant, even though it wasn't planned as such!), I've decided to return the favor by adopting one of his formats... again! If you're unfamiliar with this puzzle, here's Grant's original version of it, and here's my first effort at it. Now read on for the directions!
When the answers to the clues in the REBUSES are anagrammed and then assembled, they form the answers to the WHOLES clues. For example, if one of the REBUSES consists of clues reading "[Forearm bone] + [Holy item associated with a saint] + [Telepathy and such]", and a WHOLES clue is “Event in which the Earth casts a shadow”, then the answers ULNA, RELIC, and ESP can be anagrammed and assembled into LUNA/R ECLI/PSE. Both the REBUSES and the WHOLES clues are in no particular order, and you must determine which answer goes in which row of blanks.
The letters in the shaded squares, reading down, will form two words that can be anagrammed and assembled into the FINAL ANSWER: the name of a candy.
- [Avengers: _____ of Ultron] + [Fail to finish first] + [Destined] + [Louise's cinematic partner in crime]
- [Basketballer who once scored 100 points in one game] + [Love at first _____] + [Kendrick Lamar's genre] + [Wapiti]
- [Battering device] + [Elixirs] + [Clairvoyants with crystal balls]
- [I Am _____ (Upcoming E! miniseries)] + [Revered poet Maya] + [Luke Wilson's brother]
- [Last name of Chloe from 24] + [Chicken's sister in a Cartoon Network series] + [Not guilty]
- [Midpoint of a soccer match] + [Covered with sleet] + [Mangy mutts]
- [Not too far away] + [Big galoot] + [Butterfly _____ (this caused trouble in the 2000 US elections)]
- [Ogle] + [Singer Cyndi who's Still So Unusual] + [Pearl Jam's debut album]
- [Tails' surname] + [Glitters]
- [The Black _____ ("Hard to Handle" band)] + [Relaxation's partner] + [Will's beneficiary] + [Just _____ (series of open-world video games)]
- [Their only hit song was "How Bizarre"] + [PlayStation 3 game where you fling humans from a slingshot] + [2000 Ben Affleck/Gwyneth Paltrow film]
- [Type of table for rubdowns] + [British wheels] + [Baseball team that used to play at Shea Stadium]
- "Wannabe in L.A." band with a wildly inaccurate name
- Recurring KaBlam! segment filmed in "Chuckimation"
- Comic strip that frequently features dotted-line paths
- Condiment that many Americans can't pronounce
- Song by an amphibian that peaked at #25
- Princess Celestia's "most faithful student"
- Disney film featuring Captain Amelia
- "Weighted" Portal "character"
- "Sport" with Faces and Heels
- Director of Shutter Island
- It came before Genesis?
- Indoor gridiron game
Once you think you know what the FINAL ANSWER is, send it to either email@example.com (the main email for my home computer) or firstname.lastname@example.org (the main email for my tablet and whenever I'm not at home) and I'll put your name on a solvers list once I post the answers in about two weeks. You can also use those email addresses to give me some comments and feedback (or get a hint from me in exchange for a "hint star", more details for that are on the sidebar to the right) or send me the answer to last week's puzzle, if you haven't already solved it (you can also get some free hints for that puzzle here). If you have a printer and want to solve this puzzle on paper, just head below the break for a version you can print out!