Sunday, August 14, 2022

ANSWERS: Gryptics 6

If you've been keeping track of my puzzles, you may have noticed that my 400th puzzle is set to be published tomorrow! It'll be a brand-new format to this blog, so look forward to it! But first things first: I have to reveal the answers to "Gryptics 6" from two weeks ago and list the people who have solved it:

  • Grant Fikes
  • Cindy Heisler
  • M. Sean Molley
  • Chris Kochmanski
  • Kevin Orfield
  • Tyler Hinman
  • Mike Armstrong
  • Michael Lebowitz
  • Stasi Gustafson
  • Sam Levitin
  • Peter Abide
  • Patrick Jordan
  • Lynn Sweeney
  • KeoFam
  • Mom
  • Wendy Walker
Now head below the break for the answers, as well as multiple solvers' comments!


The two words that combine to make a TV show title, highlighted above, spell out GUIDING LIGHT

I was trickier than usual this time around. since I deliberately included a red herring in this puzzle. Patron Michael Lebowitz noticed it, and asked "Out of curiosity, was it intentional that General Hospital also almost fits or is that just a weird coincidence?" It was no coincidence; I purposely made it so that "H_____AL" in grid #2 could easily have been HOSPITAL instead of HABITUAL.

And a few of my solvers did indeed get tripped up by my trick: solver Sam Levitin admitted "You got me this week. I was so convinced that the answer had to be General Hospital that I had a hard time getting unstuck." Also, solver Peter Abide brought up that there were "Lots of strikeovers on my Gryptics 😄"

One person who didn't get tripped up was Patron M. Sean Molley, who said that Gryptics are "One of my favorite puzzle types!  That first grid threw me for a bit while I was trying to figure out how Crash Bandicoot could possibly be a long-running television series, but once I got GUIDING and saw that there was a five-letter entry in the second grid I was sure it would be GUIDING LIGHT... which it is.  :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment