Sunday, February 7, 2016

ANSWERS: Anacrostic

Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Before we get ready for the Big Game, let's reveal the answers for my very first Anacrostic from thirteen days ago, along with all the people that have solved it:
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
  • John Davis ****
  • Mom ****
  • Dan Simonds ****
  • Debbie Underwood Benford (she just got married Friday) ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • YYW ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Brad Eldredge ****
Now just head below the break for the answers, along with some solver comments (in case you were curious as to what other people said about this puzzle)!

A) TWIGGY
B) HABITAT
C) ENDING
D) BOB-OMB
E) UNDERTOW
F) TOOIE
G) TAMMY
H) ENGLISH
I) RANKIN-BASS
J) FINNISH
K) LOOFAH
L) YANKEES
M) ENCHILADA
N) FAD
O) FIDDLED
P) ESTONIA
Q) CHIMP
R) TIME TRAVEL

And here's the resulting movie quote:
"If anyone finds this, it means my plan didn't work and I'm already dead. But if I can somehow go back to the beginning of all of this, I might be able to save her."
The movie that the quote comes from is THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT, which opened on January 23, 2004 and made $96 million on a $13 million budget.


Solver Eric Maddy managed to amaze me after he sent me the correct FINAL ANSWER only three minutes after this puzzle went up. After I asked him how he did it, he replied thusly: "I used the hint that the first letters spelled out the title, jotted as many of the "first letters" down as I could really quick, then mentally filled in the blanks and Googled to make sure that was actually a January movie title. Then speedily sent in answer (because I'm a showoff)." For the record, after he sent me the answer, he did indeed solve the rest of the puzzle.

Solver Grant Fikes had a quibble with one of the clues: "It feels very odd to call a swamp or a savanna a HABITAT without the context of things living there (I'd say "This swamp is the habitat of numerous species of plant and animal species", not "This swamp is a habitat"). I am not an ecologist, but BIOME feels like a more correct answer to that clue to me."

Solver John Davis said that this was "Solid work, though I was able to get the answer well before the puzzle itself was completed owing to the acrostic effect. The only complaint I have is the dashes above numbers on the printable version are variable-width, and thus rather small on the single-digit numbers."

Solver Tyler Hinman "Had it six answers in, but no big. :-)"


No comments:

Post a Comment