Sunday, September 11, 2016

ANSWERS: Family Reunions 2

I know I'm supposed to reveal the answers to "Family Reunions 2" today, but first, I just wanted to let you know that my own family just got a little smaller this past week; my pet cat Maurice has been part of my life since I was in middle school, but old age got to him, and he had to be put down. I'm definitely gonna miss him...

In Memory of Maurice: 2003-2016 [Picture taken on Christmas 2008]

Sorry if I made anyone sad with this post. I don't have any way to smoothly segue from that, so here's the list of solvers for that puzzle I mentioned earlier:
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Giovanni Pagano ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • YYW ****
  • Lynn Sweeney *
  • Chris Hendricks ****
  • M. Sean Molley ****
  • Debbie Benford ***
  • Alex Milton ***
And as usual, the answers and solver comments are below the break.

  1. DUMB = MUD (B)
  2. TYPO = POT (Y)
  3. CLUMP = PLUM (C)
  4. ARGUES = SUGAR (E)
  5. CALMER = CREAM (L)
  6. PRANCE = PECAN (R)
  7. ARCHERY = CHERRY (A)
  8. IRKSOME = ESKIMO (R)
  9. MIKE KYLE = KEY LIME (K)
  10. MAINBRACE = AMERICAN (B)
The Category is "_____ Pie" (or "Words that can precede 'Pie'"), and the deleted letters unscramble to spell out BLACKBERRY.


Solver Eric Maddy said "You're gonna love my false start. The theme I was looking at was COFFEE, which works for the first half of the list, and can be stretched to work with cherry and American(o), and MILK seemed promising..... [He initially had "Lump" instead of "Plum", and "EYE milk??" instead of "Key Lime"] So I tried to pull BLACK out of the "extra letters" list, and came up with BLACKBERRY. Which doesn't make a ton of sense with coffee. So I had to rethink a couple [entries]"

Solver Giovanni Pagano said that "The shorter ones got me started, but once I got CHERRY and discarded fruits as the category considering MUD and POT, the pie thing helped me get the rest. Still needed to double check sugar pie was a thing, and American eluded me until I used the site you linked. Thanks Ryan."

Solver Sam Levitin provides this quote from When Harry Met Sally: "Waiter? There is too much pepper on my paprikash. But I would be pleased to partake of your pecan pie. Pecan pie."

Solver M. Sean Molley stated "Personally, my favorite type of pie is French silk, although when it's made with fresh limes, Key lime pie is definitely right up there.  :)"

Not quite a pie chart, but a Venn Pie-agram is close enough! Thanks to Grank Fikes for sending in this picture!

1 comment:

  1. My puppy Chloe was put down two weeks ago due to complications involving pancreatitis, at the ripe young age of 8. I feel for you. :( *hugs*

    ReplyDelete