Sunday, December 24, 2017

ANSWERS: Diagramless Crossword 2

Tomorrow's Christmas Day, but before we get to that, we have to reveal the answers to my second "Diagramless Crossword" puzzle from thirteen days ago, as well as the eight people who have successfully solved it:
  • Grant Fikes ***
  • Pavel Curtis ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Mom *
  • Patrick Jordan ****
  • Brittany Trofimovich ****
  • Lynn Sweeney **
Now head below the break for the answers! Four of my solvers had stuff to say, too, so be sure to check their comments out as well!


The highlighted Across answers spell out COMIC STRIP WITH A TEEN NAMED JEREMY, and the answer to that is ZITS

Hard to believe that this strip about teens is now one year away from legal drinking age...

Patron Pavel Curtis (who requested this puzzle type) said "I admit, in order to really get going, I had to do web searches for Michael Sembello and for the rock band in 19-A, but I worked out all of the other pop-culture references from the crossings or the depths of my memory.  (OK, after solving I also searched to confirm my answer to the apparently-requisite MLP reference, too...)

Lots of fun!  Thank you!  Was this in response to my request just a few days ago?  If so, I'm totally jealous of your construction speed!!" (he sent me the request on December 1st, and it was posted on Patreon the following day)

You can buy this shirt for $19.50! Much cheaper than buying a vowel!

Patron Grant Fikes requested me to take away a star due to him looking up the FINAL ANSWER, saying "I think we get that in our newspaper, but I don't read the newspaper comics much anymore. I mostly put the newspaper down for the dogs to pee on."

Solver Patrick Jordan noticed a mistake I made: "I think I should point out one factual error, though. At 59-A, ULEE was played by Peter, not Henry, Fonda." After I emailed him back, I immediately corrected that error in the blog post version of this puzzle.

Solver Lynn Sweeney took a long time to solve this puzzle, and once she was finally done with it, she exclaimed "I lost weight solving that puzzle!"

No comments:

Post a Comment