Sunday, October 13, 2019

ANSWERS: Meta-Crossword 6: Hidden Figures

WOW! My milestone 250th puzzle (which was both a meta-crossword AND a contest puzzle) proved to be a huge hit, as a truly whopping seventeen people have solved it since it was posted two weeks ago! I don't even remember the last time I've gotten a solver count that high! Take a look for yourself:
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Keith Jackson ****
  • Joe Bernard ****
  • Lawrence Denes ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Alan Arbizu ****
  • Jeremy Horwitz ****
  • Patrick Jordan ****
  • Mom * (opted out of the contest)
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Debbie Benford ***
  • Kevin Orfield ****
  • Stephen Potter ****
  • Stephen Staver *
  • Lynn Sweeney *
  • Yossi Fendel ****
Now, since well over ten people have solved this puzzle, there will be TWO winners to this contest! As a reminder, both winners will each receive a crossword book of their choosing (provided it's not too expensive, of course). The randomly-chosen winners are: Kevin Orfield and Sam Levitin! Congratulations, you two!

Now just go below the break for the answers, along with several solver comments!


Hidden inside the five longest Across answers are the names of numbers, which are the "hidden figures" hinted at by the title. These numbers, which I've highlighted above, are SEVEN, TWO, ONE, NINE, and EIGHT. The next step is to look at the squares in the crossword grid marked with those same numbers, which I've also highlighted above. So the square marked with a 7 has an "S" in it, the square marked with a 2 has a "T", the square marked with a 1 has an "O", and so on. The letters in those numbered squares combine to spell out STONE, which is the answer to this meta-crossword!

But wait! There's a second way to get the FINAL ANSWER! Just take the first letters of SEVEN, TWO, ONE, NINE, and EIGHT, and those letters combine to spell out STONE as well!

Solver Lawrence Denes has a lot to say: "It’s not quite my first time answering a puzzle, but I am a VERY infrequent solver.  Still, I like your style, and based on many of your clues in this and other puzzles, I think we have a lot of overlapping interests.

Anyhow, great puzzle!  I believe the meta answer is “stone,” which is one of the units of measure I understand least of all.  It was a happy coincidence that “Mezzanine” is the only Massive Attack album I know of and one that I bought from iTunes (back when that was still a thing) specifically for the “House” theme.

OMG just as I’m sitting here writing to you and looking at the grid I realized that not only do the boxes numbered 7, 2, 1, 9, 8  contain the letters STONE (which is how I came to the answer first), but also the first letter of each of those numbers is also STONE!  Bravo!

Anyways, cheers and congratulations on 250!  Excellent work."

I also got some new solvers for this one, and two of them came here from the same source: Kevin Orfield said "I started solving puzzles from Grant Fikes' blog recently, and he suggested I check out your puzzle for this week", while Stephen Potter said "I was referred through Grant Fike's blog, glad to have found your site!"

Solver Yossi Fendel hadn't been around for a long while, and he knows it: "I haven't been very active lately, but a contest puzzle is always a good way to catch my eye.  :)  Thanks for the nice meta-crossword!"

Patron Stephen Staver got the main crossword fine, but "Metas are a challenge I’ve not quite gotten the hang of yet." After some nudges from yours truly, he ultimately got the FINAL ANSWER, saying "I guess that puzzle really… rocks."

Solver Eric Maddy says that the answer is STONE "or, as the Yanks would say, '14 pounds'"

1 comment: