Sunday, March 1, 2015

ANSWERS: Spirals & Arrows

It's been almost two weeks, so it's time for me to reveal the answers to my "Spirals & Arrows" puzzle (here's an easier version for those who find the initial version too tricky)! It's also time for me to reveal who solved this puzzle:
  • Grant Fikes **
  • Eric Maddy **
  • Adam Weaver **
  • Ronald Roberts **
  • Sam Levitin **
  • Peter Abide **
Now with that out of the way, click on "Read more" below for the answers and some comments from my solvers!


In case you can't read the words above, here's the answers in text format:

SPIRALS: DIZZINESS, ISOMETRIC, STREAMERS, NOSEBLEED, EVE'S BAYOU, YOUNG ONES, MARGINALS, ORANGUTAN, VERTEBRAE, INPUTTING, EMBARGOES, SEPULVEDA, TIP O'NEILL, ATHENIANS, REVOLVERS, RETICULAR, ISLANDERS, NOVOSELIC, GOOMBELLA, MOM AND POP, OFFICIATE, WRESTLING, GET SHORTY, LONG-EARED, IRON HORSE

ROWS: SIZEMORE, ADO, SOUVENIR, -ICS, REEL, BABS, NOGGIN, NATE, BRING, SOU, ASLAN, GREET, UPGRADE, VILLAIN, LOVES ME, PUN, OPS, THERSITES, LAVO, COMB, POPULAR, EDSEL, ALLMAN, FETES, THORN, ODOR, SIC, IGNITE, YEAR, NOR

The first letter in each spiral spell out DISNEY MOVIE STARRING MOWGLI, which of course the answer is THE JUNGLE BOOK (I also would've accepted THE JUNGLE BOOK 2)

Okay, so the 40th anniversary was eight years ago. At least I'm two years ahead of the 50th anniversary!

Solver Adam Weaver "worked this mostly from the bottom up, and seeing 'wgli' at the end had me very concerned."

"If looks could kill, you would not be feeling so well, eh?"

Solver Sam Levitin had some nitpicks, but still said that this was an "[e]njoyable new (to me) puzzle type."

"My name's Goombella. I'm a student at the University of Goom. Nice to meet ya!"

Solver Peter Abide said "Really a nice construction! I did need a little google help for 6, 7, 12, & 18, but that [was] after getting the meta."

No comments:

Post a Comment