Sunday, August 2, 2015

ANSWERS: Pent Words 3

It's been two weeks since I've posted my third Pent Words puzzle, and despite its apparent difficulty, I still managed to get a decent number of solvers from it! You can look at the list of those solvers below:
  • YYW ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
  • Giovanni Pagano ****
  • Joseph DeVincentis ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
Now just head below the break for the answers, along with some solver comments!


The two unclued pentominoes (highlighted above in brown) spell out TEXAS TOAST

Just be thankful I didn't insert a video of "Cotton Eye Joe" here. Or did I?

Solver Eric Maddy noted that "if you could have shifted the "T" two cells to the left, your "TEXAS" would have been, very roughly, in the shape of Texas!"



Solver Grant Fikes "had to look up nearly everything, including INHERIT the Earth, Sam the EAGLE, and Marlene the OTTER. (What do you think I am, some kind of furry? :) )" [I should point out that Grant's avatar is of a purple and cyan fox-badger hybrid]


Grant wasn't the only one who had difficulties with this puzzle; solver Giovanni Pagano said that "Geez, this was HARD for me. Some of it was my doing (Misplacing OTTER and TAROT instead of TAROTS made the center a lot harder to fill than it should have been), but there were a too few many proper nouns/"know it or you don't" entries for my tastes. I know I said I liked the nerdy stuff in a previous e-mail, but I do think it can shift too far in one direction and make the puzzle impenetrable for some people. Perhaps having a balance between the more trivia-like clues and more general phrases might help bring other people to your puzzles? Just a piece of constructive criticism/feedback."



And finally, solver Sam Levitin simply said "Yee-haw!"

No comments:

Post a Comment