Sunday, November 1, 2015

ANSWERS: Pent Words 4: The Return of Michael Myers

It's been thirteen days since I've posted my fourth "Pent Words" puzzle, and as usual, it's time for me to reveal the answers, but not before I list the people who have successfully solved it within that time period:
  • YYW ****
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Joseph DeVincentis **** (watch him solve it here!)
  • Mom ****
  • Debbie Underwood ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Lynn Sweeney ****
Now just click on "read more" for the answers, along with plenty of solver comments!


The unclued pentominoes, highlighted above in red, spell out FATAL FRAME

Pictured above: a spin-off of the Fatal Frame games, and the first in the series I've played. To say it's a fairly poor first impression is an understatement; when the reviews said it was short, I didn't expect it to be finished-in-less-than-two-hours short!

Solver Sam Levitin wondered what Fatal Frame was: "An ominous end to a game of bowling? An accident at the art restorer’s workshop? A reference to the critical excised bit of the Zapruder film?"

Solver Grant Fikes had a quibble with one of the clues: "While technically correct, ISLET's clue isn't entirely kosher for containing 'island'"


Grant wasn't the only one who had a problem with this puzzle; solver Tyler Hinman "Was going to chastise you for the S???KER/FA??? crossing, since it's a no-hoper for many knowledge-wise, but I did manage to deduce it. It had to be right when I thought of it."

Meanwhile, solver Adam Weaver "Was able to finish without googling. Nice puzzle."


My Mom finds these type of puzzles too hard for her taste, but she still managed to successfully solve this one: "I don't even like it, and I did it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment