Sunday, January 11, 2015

ANSWERS: Word Squares

It's been two weeks since I've published my "Word Squares" puzzle (which you can still solve here with an easier version here), so it's time to reveal the answers! But first, a list of people who have solved it:
  • Adam Weaver **
  • Grant Fikes **
  • Lynn Sweeney **
  • Tyler Hinman **
  • John L. Wilson **
  • Eric Maddy **
  • Mom *
Normally, just the answers will be provided below the break, but for this edition, I'm going to do something a little different: I'll be providing some explanations and additional info for a few of the clues used in the puzzle! Click on "read more" for all of that!



As you can see above, the two words I was looking for are hidden diagonally: LOAD and CARGO


Now for some more detail regarding three of the clues:

CLUE #1: [Cryptic Clue] Rang up a former Slipknot guitarist: GNAR
  • Here's an explanation on how to solve this cryptic clue: if you look at the third column in the filled-in 4x4 grid, you'll notice that the word RANG is going UP! RANG UP! In other words, RANG spelled backwards is GNAR, the former Slipknot guitarist!

CLUE #2: Slang for "abhorrer" popularized by a 3LW song: HATER
  • According to Know Your Meme, "Hater" (specifically, the phrase "haters gonna hate") first appeared in 3LW's song "Players Gon' Play", which I remember watching back in 2000 on MTV's TRL. I won't link to the song, but for the sake of interest, the chorus containing the phrase is as follows:
The playas gon’ play / Them haters gonna hate / Them callers gonna call / Them ballers gonna ball

CLUE #3: Final single off of Unkle's Never, Never, Land: REIGN
  • I know I could have just as easily used a clue like "Dominion" or something, but I like this song, and I wanted more people to know about it. In case you haven't heard it (which is pretty likely), below is the music video for Unkle's "Reign" (yeah, I know it's a weird video, but then again, I like weird videos!)

No comments:

Post a Comment