Sunday, May 31, 2015

ANSWERS: Squeezed in the Middle

Well, it's been about two weeks since I've published my "Squeezed in the Middle" puzzle (and adopted my new "hint stars" system), so it's now time for me to reveal the answers! Before I do so, however, I should let you know that I just sent three different puzzles with this format to be published in GAMES Magazine yesterday, so wish me luck in that endeavor! That being said, let's move on to the solvers list:
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Paolo Pasco ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Lynn Sweeney *
  • Christian H.P. ****
  • Mom ****
  • Debbie Underwood ****
...So  it looks like Lynn Sweeney was the only one to spend some of their hint stars, so she gets one star next to her name instead of four. Now, just click on "Read more" for the answers to this puzzle, along with some solver comments and pretty pictures!


The letters in the brown squares, reading down, spell out MONSTER RANCHER


Solver Eric Maddy questioned one of my clues: "fwiw -- are you sure that poison ivy is a sumac? No indication of that in the [Wikipedia] entry; I know both poison ivy and poison sumac, but don't know that they're related other than that they're both toxic." [To be honest, when I was looking that word up through crosswordtracker.com, "Poison ivy, e.g." was once of the possible clues for that answer, as you can see here]

"[I]t's not nice to fool with Mother Nature." - Poison Ivy, Batman & Robin (1997) Also, how weird is it that I found Poison Ivy's actress in the middle of poison ivy's cousin?

Solver Grant Fikes noticed that "'monster' [was] in the clue [for ORC]". Thanks to him pointing that out, I've since changed it to "beast" in the non-printable format.


Solver Paolo Pasco had this to say: "I liked this one. Not too difficult, but still pretty fun"


Solver Tyler Hinman "[v]ery nearly sent Monster Garden, the name of a Lumosity game. The lesson, as always: I'm an idiot, and the Undo button is my friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment