Sunday, May 17, 2015

UPDATE: Sudokurossword (and the End of Easy Versions)

It's been about a week since I posted my sudoku-crossword hybrid, and so far, an impressive 9 people have solved it. Usually, this is where I put an easier version of the puzzle... but starting today, there will be no more easy versions! I came to that decision after asking my solvers whether or not I should continue with them considering that no one has used them in quite a while. Their responses are below the break, in case you're curious as to how they answered; you might get a hint or two as to what I'm replacing the easy versions with. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I've already adopted a new system to replace the easier versions starting with tomorrow's puzzle, where it'll be explained in more detail. Hope to see you then!


Sam LevitinMeh; I'm not passionate about the easier versions. Sometimes puzzles strike me as *way* too difficult, but I just don't have the time to wrangle the instructions or try it out. One recent puzzle ["Tabletop Math" by Grant Fikes] had board games and their images -- it was just too graphic intensive to be feasible to do with a black-and-white printout away from a machine (tablet, laptop,...). I'm old school, favoring pencil and paper (and Google for the anime/manga/Shoot'em-up references), so I might not be the audience you are trying to reach.

Eric MaddyI'm not the one to ask, because I like the more challenging versions. But it seems the response rate you're getting for the easier versions is less than you might hope, and in that may lie the answer to your question.

Grant FikesYour decision, man. I'm curious as to what "something else" would entail. A logic puzzle? :)

Adam WeaverDoesn't matter to me. You've got a "look it up" policy, so easier versions may not often make the puzzle accessible to more people?

Christian H.P.I think it's a nice thing to offer, but I'm also guessing that it's a lot more work, and if no one seems to be using them, it makes sense to come up with a simpler solution (simpler for you, as the puzzle designer.)  Being a Professor Layton fan, I like the idea of hint coins - so if it's easier for you, I'd say 'go for it!'

Tyler HinmanI really don't bother with the easy ones. I've done almost all your hard ones; I just don't always get to it in time to send in the answer and receive credit.

Paolo PascoI think that if no one has been solving them for a while, you could replace them with something else. Or you could just release hints when an abnormally low number of people have solved the puzzle after a week. I'd be interested to hear about the Picarat-style scheme, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment