Sunday, May 24, 2015

ANSWERS: Sudokurossword

It's been roughly two weeks since I've posted my sudoku-crossword hybrid, so now it's time for me to reveal the answers! Keep in mind that I originally posted this puzzle before I changed the usage of stars, so until next week's answers are posted, it's still two stars for solving it in the first week, and one star for solving it in the second week. Now with that out of the way, here are the people who have solved this puzzle:
  • Adam Weaver **
  • Eric Maddy **
  • Sam Levitin **
  • Grant Fikes **
  • Lynn Sweeney **
  • Tyler Hinman **
  • Christian H. P. **
  • Debbie Underwood **
  • Paolo Pasco **
Now head below the break for the answers! You'll also see some solver comments and captioned pictures as well!


The letters in the shaded squares, once unscrambled, spell out INHALATION

"There's no need for foolish outcries from foolishly foolish fools."

Solver Adam Weaver said that he "kept seeing it as "Hamiltonian", but there is no M" [Well, that, and the fact that "Hamiltonian" is 11 letters, not 10, but I digress...]

"Do you think this is a big enough gun?"

Solver Grant Fikes noticed the "69" pattern in the sudoku (surprisingly not a deliberate reference to a certain slang phrase which I won't link to, but a result of including the number "6" -- as in "64" -- combined with rotational symmetry), and said that "That's the sexiest Sudoku I've ever seen. It's even sexier than the money in this Wheel of Fortune video game. (Rated PG-5pi for explicit language.) It's not as sexy as this Fillomino, though.


Somehow, I managed to solve this only looking up the prosecutor's name."

Solver Tyler Hinman initially labelled his guess as ... well, a guess, and said that "I call it a guess because I attempted the crossword without the sudoku (obviously), I have no idea what one of the answers is, and I haven't bothered to check the other possible orientation for my answers. I shall report back shortly after doing the whole solve. [...] One sudoku solve and one Google later, I have confirmed my genius. BOOYAH"


Solver Paolo Pasco said that this puzzle was a "Fun twist; that crossword must have been haaard to fill."

1 comment:

  1. Solver Grant Fikes noticed the "69" pattern in the sudoku (surprisingly not a deliberate reference to a certain slang phrase which I won't link to, but a result of including the number "6" -- as in "64" -- combined with rotational symmetry)

    So when's the sequel with "4h" in the givens?

    ReplyDelete