Sunday, July 19, 2015

ANSWERS: Build-A-Pyramid

It's been thirteen days since I posted my "Build-A-Pyramid" puzzle, and I saw the number of solvers rise a bit thanks to Grant Fikes advertising it via Twitter! Here's the list of people who've solved it, by the way:
  • Eric Maddy ****
  • Grant Fikes ****
  • Chad "Authorblues" Waters ****
  • Adam Weaver ****
  • Edderiofer He ****
  • Lynn Sweeney **
  • Mom (My sister Alex and her fiance Eric helped, too) **
  • Joseph DeVincentis ****
  • Tyler Hinman ****
  • Debbie Underwood ***
  • YYW ****
  • Cayden C. ****
  • Sam Levitin ****
Now just head below the break for the answers, along with plenty of solver comments!

Some of the answers may vary

The movie title on the bottom pyramid layer is AIRHEADS

Airheads: They're out of control!

Solver Eric Maddy noted that "fwiw -- didn't solve puzzle; there are seven different letters in the tiles below the pyramid; obviously one is used twice, and since there's an extra "A" (nine of them instead of eight, so the last letter added in the pyramid is the second A), that's my odd letter."

Solver Grant Fikes' story has some mild graphic content, so if you're curious as to what he said, just highlight the white spaces with your mouse (or something similar): "A cute puzzle. Were you AS SAD as I was to have the higher-ups at PennyDell DASH your hopes of being published by cancelling Will Shortz's Wordplay? I was (no joke) a little suicidal over this; I could have pierced my heart with a glass SHARD or a kitchen knife (perfect for chopping a RADISH or other vegetable) or found some some even SHADIER way to do myself" [Ryan's postscript: "Thankfully, I didn't go through with it because only AIRHEADS do that!"]

Grant Fikes' test-solver Joseph DeVincentis "got AIRHEADS, which I didn't realize was the title of a movie but Google confirms that it is"

Similar to Eric above, solver Tyler Hinman "Solved it immediately just by looking at the pile of letters... there are seven distinct, and nine As means the final answer has two of those. Donezo."

Solver Sam Levitin "wanted to solve without using an anagram engine. But alas, I failed and need the crutch."

Solver YYW had some constructive criticism: "The pyramid format together with this collection of letters made this puzzle into the equivalent of finding a single anagram. I think the pyramid format works better with word clues rather than with letter collections.

To use a letter collection, it might be better to have the final answer come from the first letter of each word, rather than the last word on its own.

Alternatively, you can try to find a sequence where the word collection doesn't give the letter order."

No comments:

Post a Comment